- Fact: If you own a business that serves alcohol, you need liquor liability insurance. That goes for bars, taverns, pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, brewpubs, and any other establishment that serves alcohol to patrons.
- Liquor liability insurance is the only coverage that will protect you against a huge lawsuit resulting from a customer getting intoxicated and causing harm to himself or others.
- Without liquor liability insurance, you run the risk of getting sued to the tune of tens of thousands or even millions of dollars.
- Unfortunately, it’s estimated that only 1/3 of all establishments that should have liquor liability insurance actually have the coverage.
- Some avoid purchasing this coverage because it can be costly, but it’s more than worth its cost in the value and protection it offers your business. Others don’t have liquor liability insurance simply because they don’t know how to get it.
- Shopping for liquor liability insurance in Texas isn’t complicated. Here are a few tips to help make certain you get the coverage you need.
Work with an agent who specializes in the industry
- Because liquor liability insurance is such a specialized type of coverage, you don’t want to get it from just any insurance agent.
- You need to work with an insurance agent who specializes in providing coverage solutions for bars, restaurants, and other businesses in the hospitality industry.
- An experienced, knowledgeable bar insurance agent will be able to assess your needs, answer all of your questions, and help create a policy that offers the right level of coverage to protect your business.
Understand your coverage
- Different policies might offer different provisions and different levels of coverage.
- It’s important that you understand what your liquor liability insurance covers. If you get sued, will your attorney fees and court costs be covered? Are there any situations that aren’t covered? Know your coverage!
Be proactive in avoiding claims
- Just because you have liquor liability coverage doesn’t mean you can relax and run your bar carelessly.
- It’s important that you take steps to prevent incidents from occurring in the first place.
- Train your employees on how to prevent over-serving intoxicated customers, require accurate measuring of mixed drinks, etc.
By following these simple steps, you can get the liquor liability insurance you need to protect your business and your livelihood!
Want to learn more about liquor liability insurance in Texas? Contact the experienced team at Food & Beverage Insurance Agency, offering liquor liability insurance in Houston, liquor liability insurance in Austin, and liquor liability insurance in Dallas. Learn more at www.MyBarandRestaurant.com.